Are you considering a degree in law enforcement or criminal justice?
Practically everyone has grown up watching television shows depicting the police and other law enforcement agencies fighting crime. For some people, these types of shows stimulated a calling to protect and serve the public. If you think this might be your calling as well, you can earn a degree in criminal justice from an online school and get your career started.
Many universities and online colleges offer one or two year degrees as well as bachelor’s degrees in law enforcement or administration of justice.
Local Law Enforcement or Government Agency?
In most instances, a one or two year associate’s degree will qualify you for a position on a law enforcement agency, although continued education is always encouraged.
There are many avenues that you can go with your criminal justice degree. Some graduates go on to work in fields such as private security agencies, sheriff’s departments, local government protection forces, correction officers, probation officers or private detective services.
If you have aspirations of becoming an FBI agent or related agency member, you will need to get your bachelor’s of science degree plus go through a minimum of three years of professional work experience. You will probably be required to possess a degree from a set list of approved majors, have fluency in another language, and be able to pass a thorough background check.
Online learning is a terrific alternative to campus classes for those who are on a busy schedule, working full time, or just wish to take a criminal justice degree program at their own pace. These web-based programs are built to accommodate working students and to fit your own personal schedule.
Many of these jobs are in fields where employment is in modest demand. You can get the technical training you need to compete for one of these jobs.
Most of the accredited schools mentioned here provide job placement assistance to students, new graduates and alumni.
And if you are already employed, your agency or other employer may pay for some or all of your tuition costs related to criminal justice training courses.
Add your zip code below and click submit to search for a school:
- Earn your Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice degree online
- Non-profit and institutionally accredited by WASC
- Over 101,000 Argosy University graduates
- Get 24/7 access to online library, tech support, career services, & more
- Various forms of financial aid are available to students who are eligible
- Criminal Justice (BS)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Generalist
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Corrections and Case Management
- And more...
- A unique program focused on the real-world application of criminological principles
- Find courses in Law Enforcement, Security, Anti-terrorism, Corrections, & more
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Ranked one of the best colleges for vets by Military Times 7 years in a row
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor's
- Homeland Security - Bachelor's
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, Master of Science in Criminal Justice, and more.
- Advanced degrees in criminal justice help working professionals stay up to date on the latest law enforcement practices.
- Some programs offer the opportunity for hands-on experience working on real criminal cases.
- Flexible online and campus-based programs available.
- BS in Criminal Justice - Law Enforcement
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- AAS in Criminal Justice
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Doctor of Management - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Criminal Justice - Policing
- Doctor of Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- Master of Legal Studies
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Criminal Justice Studies (Master of Arts) - Online
- Jurisprudence with concentration in Legal Studies (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- Legal Studies - Homeland Security (Master of Science) - Online
- And more...
But maybe this field isn’t right for you. There are other great career fields. For instance, the culinary arts offers a variety of jobs, from cooking to restaurant management. Find out more if you would be a good fit.