Are you considering a degree in law enforcement or criminal justice?
Practically everyone has grown up watching television shows depicting the police and other law enforcement agencies fighting crime. For some people, these types of shows stimulated a calling to protect and serve the public. If you think this might be your calling as well, you can earn a degree in criminal justice from an online school and get your career started.
Many universities and online colleges offer one or two year degrees as well as bachelor’s degrees in law enforcement or administration of justice.
Local Law Enforcement or Government Agency?
In most instances, a one or two year associate’s degree will qualify you for a position on a law enforcement agency, although continued education is always encouraged.
There are many avenues that you can go with your criminal justice degree. Some graduates go on to work in fields such as private security agencies, sheriff’s departments, local government protection forces, correction officers, probation officers or private detective services.
If you have aspirations of becoming an FBI agent or related agency member, you will need to get your bachelor’s of science degree plus go through a minimum of three years of professional work experience. You will probably be required to possess a degree from a set list of approved majors, have fluency in another language, and be able to pass a thorough background check.
Online learning is a terrific alternative to campus classes for those who are on a busy schedule, working full time, or just wish to take a criminal justice degree program at their own pace. These web-based programs are built to accommodate working students and to fit your own personal schedule.
Many of these jobs are in fields where employment is in modest demand. You can get the technical training you need to compete for one of these jobs.
Most of the accredited schools mentioned here provide job placement assistance to students, new graduates and alumni.
And if you are already employed, your agency or other employer may pay for some or all of your tuition costs related to criminal justice training courses.
Add your zip code below and click submit to search for a school:
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- PhD in Criminal Justice - General
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Online Teaching in Higher Education
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Bachelor’s and master’s programs in Criminal Justice available
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Criminal Justice Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2017
- Concentrations include Forensics, Homeland Security, and Cybercrime and Security
- Students study law enforcement operations, corrections, and criminal investigation
- Doctor of Management - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- A unique program focused on the real-world application of criminological principles
- Find courses in Law Enforcement, Security, Anti-terrorism, Corrections, & more
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Ranked one of the best colleges for vets by Military Times 7 years in a row
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor's
- Homeland Security - Bachelor's
- Offers associate and bachelor-level programs in Criminal Justice.
- Program topics include criminal investigation processes and ethics, criminal law, juvenile justice and more.
- A B.A.S. in Criminal Justice program is also available for students who already possess an A.A.S.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Paralegal Studies*
- Bachelor of Arts in Government - Pre-Law
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Criminal Justice - Policing
- Doctor of Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- Doctor of Criminal Justice
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Arts in Homeland Security
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Criminal Justice Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at your own pace and Get qualified to pursue a career you'll love.
- Answer a few questions and you are one step closer to enroll in a Top College!
But maybe this field isn’t right for you. There are other great career fields. For instance, the culinary arts offers a variety of jobs, from cooking to restaurant management. Find out more if you would be a good fit.